7 Days Rwanda primates and Dian Fossey hiking safari
7 Days Rwanda primates and Dian fossey hiking safari covers two primate parks in Rwanda including Volcanoes national park a home to endangered mountain gorillas, golden monkeys, Volcanoes, and the Dian Fossey grave then Nyungwe forest national park is a home to 13 primate species including chimpanzees and monkeys. this 7 days Rwanda primates and Dian fossey hiking safari starts from Kigali to Volcanoes national park for Gorilla trekking adventure, Golden monkey trekking safari, Dian fossey tomb hike and then exit by water transfer to Nyungwe forest national park for chimpanzee trekking and breath taking canopy walk.
Highlights of 7 Days Rwanda Primates and Dian Fossey hiking safari
- Day 1: Transfer to Volcanoes national park
- Day 2: Mountain gorilla trekking in Volcanoes national park
- Day 3: Golden monkey trekking and visit the twin lakes of Burela and Ruhondo
- Day 4: Hike Dian Fossey’s tomb and transfer to Gisenyi
- Day 5: Water transfer to Nyungwe forest national park
- Day 6: Chimpanzee trekking and Canopy walk
- Day 7: Transfer to Kigali for departures
Detailed Safari Itinerary
Day 1: Transfer to Volcanoes national park
- Transfer to Volcanoes national park: you will be picked up by our company representative in Rwanda from your lodge or from Kigali international airport upon arrival on day 1 of 7 days Rwanda primates and Dian fossey hiking safari, then meet and greet as you set off for a Kigali city tour exploring markets centers such as Kimironko market, visit Kigali genocide memorial sites and many other unique attractions in the beautiful Kigali city. After the city tour, you will enjoy your lunch in Kigali then embark on a 2-3 hours road drive to Volcanoes national park in Ruhengeri where you will check in for dinner and overnight
Day 2: Mountain gorilla trekking in Volcanoes national park
- Rwanda gorilla trekking: On day 2 of 7 days Rwanda primates and Dian fossey hiking safari, wake-up fully energized and in good mood for breakfast as early as possible then pack anything that is seems to be an essential for gorilla trekking and meet your safari driver to be transferred to meet other trekker for a pre gorilla trekking briefing where all the necessary info about gorillas is provided including the dos and don’ts. Hire a porter and by 8:00am, join the local guides and the armed ranger to start the journey in the wilderness searching for the gorilla family that has been habituated and used to humans for trekking. This will take you from 30 minutes to 7 hours to find the gorilla family then once you finally land on it, you have one hour to closely view the gorillas in their natural habitats without interrupting them and later on trek back to the starting point to meet your safari driver and be returned to your lodge for dinner and overnight sleep. In case you feel like doing any activity in the evening before sun goes down, you may opt to visit the twin lakes of Burela and Ruhondo or visit the Ibyiwacu cultural village.
Day 3: Golden monkey trekking and Visit the twin lakes of Burela and Ruhondo
- Golden monkey trekking: After breakfast on day 3 of 7 days Rwanda primates and Dian fossey hiking safari, return to the assembly point with your drinking water and some snacks without forgetting to wear the best trekking gears including the water proof hiking shoes or boats, long sleeved attire, sun glasses, insect repellant, a cap, and garden gloves then start another fascinating activity of trekking the most cheerful and beautiful primates that reside in Volcanoes national park. Trekking golden monkeys takes about 2-5 hours depending how far a troop of Golden moneys has moved. Be sure to encounter other wildlife in the wild during the trek and as soon as you finally find them, you are entitled to a maximum period of 1 hour taking photographs and closely interacting with these cute creatures then return to the lodge for lunch. Later in the evening, you will embark on a walking safari to visit the twin lakes of Burela and Ruhondo where you will be overwhelmed by existence of several species of birds and some mammals that visit the lake in search of water. After exploring the lakes, return to the lodge for dinner and overnight awaiting to exploring the grave of Dian Fossey the next day.
Day 4: Hike Dian Fossey’s tomb and transfer to Gisenyi
- Hike Dian Fossey’s grave: After breakfast on day 4 of 7 days Rwanda primates and Dian fossey hiking safari, meet your safari driver to be transferred to the park headquarters for a briefing about Dian Fossey, her life style, and her death. Hire a porter to assist you in carrying the back pack then set off to start ascending Mount Karisimbi since Dian fossey grave is situated between Mount Karisimbi and Mount Bisoke at Karisoke research center. So you will hike along Mount Karisimbi until you research as Karisoke research center. While at her research center, you will visit her grave situated near the grave of her favorite gorillas decimal that was also murdered by poachers who are the same people that took her life. After spending same time at Dian fossey grave, you will descend back to the lodge, freshen-up, have your lunch and check out to be transferred to Gisenyi where you will spend your evening hours at the shores of Lake Kivu enjoying the cool breathe and viewing the beautiful flora species at the shores of the lake. Later in the evening, you will head to your booked lodge in Gisenyi for dinner and overnight sleep awaiting the cruise to Nyungwe forest national park the next day.
Day 5: Water transfer to Nyungwe forest national park
- Water transfer to Nyungwe forest national park: Have a relaxed breakfast at your lodge on day 5 of 7 days Rwanda safari then check out and embark on Gisenyi city tour where you will explore different attractions including Gisenyi genocide memorial sites, markets, shops and many more. After exploring Gisenyi you will embark on a boat cruise along the beautiful Lake Kivu while watching a lot of aquatic species and the view of the volcanoes in the neighboring national park as you transfer to Nyungwe forest national park a home to 13 primate species situated in the opposite side of Lake Kivu. Upon arrive at the shores of the lake, you will enjoy you late lunch then drive to Nyungwe forest national park for check in, dinner and overnight.
Day 6: Chimpanzee trekking and Canopy walk in Nyungwe forest national park
- Chimpanzee trekking and Canopy walk: Arise at the sunrise for breakfast on day 6 of 7 days Rwanda primates and Dian fossey hiking safari then be transferred to the park headquarters for briefing about chimpanzee trekking in Nyungwe forest national park. After briefing, you will embark on a half day journey in the forest looking for habituated chimpanzees. Upon finding them, you have one hour in their vicinity taking photographs and closely interacting with them then trek back to meet your safari driver who will return you to the lodge for Lunch and relaxation before embarking on an evening canopy walk with in Nyungwe forest which is known to be one of the best canopy walks in the whole of East Africa. The canopy walk stretches to 150m and it offers a lot of encounters of different fauna and flora species.
Day 7: Transfer to Kigali for departures
- Transfer to Kigali: Have your breakfast on day 7 of 7 days Rwanda primates and Dian fossey hiking safari, then check out and start the road drive from Nyungwe forest national park back to Kigali with an enroute lunch. Upon arrival in Kigali, you will be dropped off at your preferred hotel or at the airport for a departure flight.
End Of 7 Days Rwanda Primates and Dian Fossey hiking safari