Buniga forest trail is one of the ways the Pygmies, Batwa show you the way they lived and hunted in the forest before they were chased out of the forest during Bwindi establishment the forest walk takes place near Nkuringo and Rushaga sector.
The Batwa people were the first people to inhabit Bwindi forest and today their homeless people could not go further. They are the same people who have knowledge about the Buniga forest. The walk is full of nature and ancient an amazing experience visitors would encounter.
The forest its self is rich with nature and flora, with species including diversity, ferns tree species you have never seen before a magical nature of wonders. One might as well spot the primates during the walk including chimpanzees, white and black colobus monkeys, red tailed monkeys, bird species and more.
During this trek you will not miss out on somethings like the food the Batwa used to feed on, roots and berries which were for medicine even today they much rely on by the Batwa people. Other materials used to build huts and make cloths.
The Batwa people will show their ways of gathering honey, of trapping and one needs to remember. The Batwa people left a footsteps of their origin a place which was known to them for generation. Though Buniga is not promoted in Tourism but can be organized by tour operators it’s an opportunity not to be missed during your Gorilla trekking.
Batwa have handcrafts and you might as well buy some for yourself. You will have a chance to visit the Batwa homes to see their present life and how they live. This trail was funded and organized by Nkuringo Community Conservation and Development Foundation (NCCDF).
Buniga forest trail is charged 25$ per person for all nationalities of which 70% of that money goes back to the Nkuringo Community Conservation and Development Foundation (NCCDF) which employs your guides and operates the community in conservation projects and the remaining 30% which goes back to Kisoro government.