6 days Congo gorilla trekking and Nyiragongo hiking safari
6 days Congo gorilla trekking and Nyiragongo hiking safari takes primate lovers and adventurous tourists to the home of Eastern lowland gorillas in Kahuzi Beiga national park in Bukavu for a breathtaking gorilla safari and then cruise along Lake Kivu to Goma where you connect to Virunga national park for a fascinating encounter with endangered mountain gorillas and stunning Nyiragongo volcano that sums up this 6 days Congo gorilla trekking and Nyiragongo hiking safari. This Congo safari starts from Kigali Rwanda to Bukavu Kahuzi Beiga national park to Goma to Virunga national park and finally ends in Kigali Rwanda and it’s one of the most enjoyed safari for tourists who wish to combine Eastern lowland gorillas with Mountain Gorillas and Mount Nyiragongo in one Congo safari.
Highlights of 6 days Congo gorilla trekking and Nyiragongo hiking safari
- Day 1: Transfer to Bukavu
- Day 2: Eastern Lowland Gorilla trekking in Kahuzi Beiga national park
- Day 3: Transfer to Goma and connect to Virunga national park
- Day 4: Mountain gorilla trekking in Virunga national park
- Day 5: Nyiragongo Hike
- Day 6: Descend Nyiragongo and departures
Detailed Safari Itinerary
Day 1: Transfer from Kigali to Bukavu
- Drive to Bukavu: Wake up in the morning on day 1 of 6 days Congo safari at your hotel in Kigali Rwanda as earlier communicated and start the road drive for about 7 hours with an enroute lunch along the way and some stopover to explore some attractions and proceed the journey to Bukavu which is the most used place where tourists on a Congo safari to Kahuzi Beiga national park spend an overnight after a long drive from Kigali. Well, upon arrival in Bukavu, check-in at your booked hotel, have served dinner and take a rest.
Day 2: Eastern Lowland Gorilla trekking in Kahuzi Beiga national park
- Gorilla trekking in Kahuzi Beiga national park: Enjoy a cup of coffee for breakfast in the morning on day 2 of 6 days Congo safari then meet your driver for a drive to Kahuzi Beiga national park headquarters for a briefing. After the briefing, enter into the forest and start the search of habituated Eastern lowland gorillas for about 5 hours. Once you find the gorillas, spend one hour with the gorillas taking photographs and watching these gorillas as they go on with their daily activities in the forest. Later on, trek back to the headquarters where you will be picked up by your safari driver and returned to your lodge for dinner and overnight.
Day 3: Transfer to Goma and connect to Virunga national park
- Transfer from Bukavu to Goma: Once you are done with breakfast, start day 3 of 6 days Congo safari with a drive to Bukavu port where you will sail along Lake Kivu and transfer to Goma on a speed boat. While in Goma, you will be transferred by road to Grande barrier for clearance with Virunga national park management, have your lunch and be transferred to Virunga national park through Rumangabo and head to your lodge for check in dinner and overnight.
Day 4: Mountain gorilla trekking in Virunga national park
- Gorilla trekking in virunga national park: Have your breakfast in the morning on day 4 of 6 days Congo gorilla trekking and Nyiragongo hiking safari, then be driven to Bukima police post for a briefing about all the necessary information that you need before penetrating the forest for a gorilla trekking walk. After the briefing, you will start the search of endangered mountain gorillas through different trails until you find them. Spend an hour with them which is the maximum time allowed with almost all primate species during trekking. In this one hour, you are free to take photographs and watch the gorillas as they move on roaming the forest in search of food. Trek back to Bukima where you will be picked and returned to your respective lodges for a relaxed evening, dinner, and overnight.
Day 5: Nyiragongo Hike
- Hike mount Nyiragongo (Ascend): Once you are done with breakfast on day 5 of 6 days Congo gorilla trekking and Nyiragongo hiking safari, prepare yourself very well in that you don’t forget anything that might be useful while at the summit then meet your driver and be transferred to Kibati ranger post to meet with the rangers and porters who are available for hire. You will be briefed about Nyiragongo Mountain which is the most active volcanic mountain amongst the 8 volcanoes in Virunga massif and it last erupted in 2002. By 10:00AM, the hike will start taking you for 5-6 hours depending on the fitness level of hikers and the speed used. You will stopover twice to enjoy your packed lunch and relax then arrive at the summit late in the evening to overnight while watching the active and boiling lava lake.
Day 6: Descend Nyiragongo and departures
- Descend Nyiragongo: Breakfast will be at the summit on the last day of 6 days Congo gorilla trekking and Nyiragongo hiking safari then meet other hikers and start the descent from the top of Mount Nyiragongo back to Kibati. Descending is easier taking about 3-4 hours. While at Kibati, you will be transferred back to Kigali for a city tour to explore genocide memorial sites, markets, and be dropped off finally at either hotel in Kigali or Kigali international airport for departures.
END OF 6 DAYS GONGO GORILLAS AND NYIRAGONGO HIKING SAFARI
This safari includes;
- 2 gorilla trekking permits (For eastern lowland gorillas and Mountain gorillas)
- Nyiragongo hiking permit
- An English speaking guide
- Meals as per itinerary
- Enough water for drinking
- Congo tourist visa
- A 4×4 safari vehicle
This safari excludes;
- International visa and air ticket
- Other expenses of personal nature such as airtime, emails, etc.