5 Days Eastern Lowland Gorilla Trekking & Nyiragongo hiking safari
5 Days Eastern Lowland Gorilla Trekking & Nyiragongo hiking safari is one of the short Congo safari especially enjoyed by tourists who intend to spend one hour with the Eastern lowland Gorillas of Kahuzi Beiga national park and then hike up Mount Nyiragongo to view the boiling Lava lake at the summit. This 5 days Eastern lowland gorilla trekking and Nyiragongo hiking safari involves landing at Kigali international airport and spend an overnight in Kigali before embarking on 7 hours’ drive to Bukavu on the day of the safari. While in Bukavu, you will enjoy overnight and the real adventure begin the following day in Kahuzi Beiga national park a home to Eastern lowland gorillas. From Kahuzi Beiga national park, you will cruise on Lake Kivu from Bukavu port to Goma port then drive to Virunga national park via Rumangabo and hike up Mount Nyiragongo the next day. After spending an overnight at the summit, you will descend back and return to Kigali via Goma and Gisenyi. This 5 days Eastern lowland gorilla trekking and Nyiragongo hiking safari include 5 days and 4 night’s excursion in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Highlights of 5 Days Eastern Lowland Gorilla Trekking & Nyiragongo hiking safari
- Day 1: Transfer from Kigali Rwanda to Bukavu Congo
- Day 2: Eastern lowland gorilla trekking in Kahuzi Beiga national park
- Day 3: Boat transfer from Bukavu port to Goma and head to Rumangabo
- Day 4: Hike Nyiragongo (Ascend)
- Day 5: Descend Nyiragongo
Detailed Safari Itinerary
Day 1: Transfer from Kigali Rwanda to Bukavu Congo
- Transfer from Kigali to Bukavu: Early in the morning on day 1 of 5 days Congo Safari, you will be met by our company representative in Kigali Rwanda for a briefing about your 5 days Congo safari as you head to Bukavu the nearest town to Kahuzi Beiga national park where you will spend your overnight.
- Meal plan: lunch and dinner
Day 2: Eastern lowland gorilla trekking in Kahuzi Beiga national park
- Gorilla trekking in Kahuzi Beiga national park: Enjoy an early breakfast at your lodge in Bukavu on day 2 of 5 days Eastern lowland gorilla trekking and Nyiragongo hiking safari then meet your driver to be transferred to the park headquarters for a pre-briefing about Lowland gorilla trekking. Hire a porter and set off for an adventurous journey in the wild looking for eastern lowland gorillas that are habituated and used to humans. Spend one hour with these gorillas and be returned to your hotel in Bukavu for a meal and spend your evening at leisure or have a nature walk.
- Meal plan: breakfast, lunch and dinner
Day 3: Boat transfer from Bukavu port to Goma and head to Rumangabo
- Transfer to Goma and connect to Rumangabo in Virunga national park: On day 3 of 5 days Congo Safari, check out of the lodge in Bukavu and be driven direct to Bukavu port where you will enjoy a fascinating boat cruise from Bukavu to Goma while enjoying the view of different attractions including islands along Lake Kivu, the stunning vegetation cover, and some wildlife species. As soon as you land in Goma, you will be driven to Grande barrier for clearances then enjoy an enroute lunch in Goma and finally be driven to Virunga national park for dinner and overnight though it’s also possible to spend your overnight in Goma and connect the following day for the hike.
- Meal plan: breakfast, lunch and dinner
Day 4: Hike Nyiragongo (Ascend)
- Ascend mount Nyiragongo: Have your breakfast at your lodge on day 4 of 5 days Congo Safari then meet your driver to be transferred direct to Kibati ranger post where you will join other hiker and be briefed by the rangers about expectations, dos and don’ts during Nyiragongo hike. Ensure that you have packed a sleeping bag, a warm sweater, warm stocking, warm gloves, a scuff, rain jacket and any other thing that can protect you from extreme coldness at the summit of Nyiragongo. After briefing, hire a porter and be ready for the really hike to ascend Nyiragongo that starts at 10:00 am amidst tight security. During the hike, be on a look out for several wildlife species that thrill in virunga national park including gorillas, monkeys, forest hogs, elephants and plenty of bird species. 2 stopovers are enough for you and other hikers to relax abit during the hike and late in the evening, you will summit the lava topped volcano where you will spend an overnight viewing a glowing lava lake. If by any chance it rains while at the summit, you will experience the real magic as the lava lake glow even brighter when the drops of rain fall in. take those eye catching photographs for remembrance.
- Meal plan: breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Day 5: Descend Nyiragongo
- Descend Nyiragongo: Wake up at the summit of Nyiragongo on day 5 of 5 days Congo Safari, have a cup of coffee if available then meet other trekkers to start the journey from the top of Nyiragongo back to Kibati. At Kibati, you will be picked and transferred back to Goma and connect to Kigali for a city tour to visit genocide sites, kimironko market, and many unique attractions in Kigali before proceeding to the airport for departures in case your flight is due the last day of your safari.
- Meal plan: breakfast and lunch
END OF 5 Days Eastern Lowland Gorilla Trekking & Nyiragongo hiking safari
- Eastern lowland gorilla trekking permit
- Nyiragongo hiking permit
- Congo tourist visa
- Ranger fees
- Meals as per itinerary
- Accommodation per itinerary
- Enough drinking water
- A 4×4 safari vehicle for ground transportation
- An English speaking guide/ driver
- International travel documents such as Visa and Air ticket
- Porter hire fee
- Sleeping bags
- Life insurance
- Laundry fees
- Other drinks apart from water